Autor Thema: CoS-Interview mit Peter Hook  (Gelesen 4786 mal)

Offline confusion

• WFTSC
  • Dankeschön: 119 mal
    • European News Agency
CoS-Interview mit Peter Hook
« am: 13. September 2011, 13:52:02 »
Bei Consequence of Sound gibt es ein gutes Interview mit Peter Hook, in dem er auch Barney's Behauptung bestätigt, dass Hooky zur Zeit der Ankündigung des Splits nicht voll zurechnungsfähig war, weil er in Alkoholproblemen steckte.

Auszug:

Zitat
Your relationship with New Order – most specifically Bernard Sumner – and what should we expect in the future? Without you?

It’s odd, after five years apart…them using the New Order name doesn’t actually bother me because I feel people are intelligent enough to know that it’s not New Order. It’s like me calling The Light Joy Division. You know, we’re not fucking Joy Division are we? We’re just rocking with a few mates. I don’t mind them using the name but what really hurt was the way in which they went about all this. They didn’t tell me they were going to do this. They just sprang it on me. [pause] It was a part of a Board Room queue to take the trademark off me and reduce my share in the group. That’s what hurt. I don’t mind them using the name, to be honest with you, whats in a name?

You have to perform when on stage as well as prove yourself. That’s the important thing and the people have to decide. The people will decide whether they like New Order without me or whether they don’t. It’s their prerogative. They have 75% of the name, I only have 25% of the name as of now. They have more right to use the name than me. You know? I’m not bothered by that. I’m bothered that we split up. I’m not bothered about it now. I don’t want to play with Bernard again, certainty don’t want to play with Gillian [Gilbert] or Stephen [Morris]. It’s just not the right time for me to play with them. Still, I would never stop them from playing and if they came to me and said, “We’re going to play all the New Order stuff,” I’d say, “Fucking great! Those songs are fantastic! Fucking get out and do it. If you enjoy it as much as I do doing the Joy Division stuff — your going to have a great time.” That’s what I would have said…

If you were to take something from this experience what would it be?

You see the problem that I had when the band split up was that I was an alcoholic. Because I was an alcoholic, I had no confidence. I was severely wounded in myself. I had no strength of character and wasn’t able to stand up to Bernard. I wasn’t able to stand up to Steve. I just couldn’t explain myself. It took me a long time to just…find myself. As corny as that sounds. However, when New Order split up I couldn’t explain to anybody why or what the problem was—now I can. It’s just too late isn’t it? But I’m happy now. The only thing that makes me unhappy is when they act in the deplorable fashion that they do now. It’s sad. It’s like children fighting in the playground. I must say that I am guilty as anybody. If I could change one thing I would change our relationship so that we could say to each other, “I’m going to do this… is that ok?” because if you have a discourse or a relationship… everything is much easier that way. If you just go about screaming at each other…it’s just going to lead to destruction. You begin to enjoy nothing. I’m happy New Order is playing because I always wanted New Order to play. It was me who protested “Let’s play! Let’s play!” for years and years…until I got fed up in saying it. So I wont be unhappy I just wish it was done in a more honorable fashion. That’s the painful bit. I would even pay to go see them play…because I love New Order.

What would bring that relationship back in New Order?

The thing is, I have the utmost respect for Bernard and Steve as musicians and I always have had. Gillian came in and she helped New Order but it was truly the three of us – Bernard, Steve, and myself – who were New Order. The thing is I respect their musicianship so much and the songs we created are the things that should break down any barriers. But, you can’t get through because there are a lot of people who have ulterior motives. You have a lot of management and agents who just can’t seem to handle it. Musicians are supposed to act like children, aren’t they? It’s in our breed to act like idiots. You know what I mean? So we need mature people, adults, to say “Stop that, sit down, and shut up…this is more important.” I wish we had a couple of adults who could look after us. A nice teacher with a big cane.